HOCO or NO-GO?

Homecoming is an eagerly awaited, somewhat stressful day that many students at Freedom High School look forward to. Many plan weeks in advance to make sure they have the perfect look to turn heads at that years dance.

However, there have been some rumors of new rules amongst the student body regarding this upcoming event that are in desperate need to be cleared up for everyone’s sake. Some of these questions include: change of venue, the wristband policy, dress code, time to get there, when and where tickets will be sold, and what is the theme.

The most commonly asked question so far is regarding if there will be a dress code. When asked this question, Principal Kevin Stephenson replied, “Yes there will be a dress code for all upcoming formal events.”

The dress code entails modest formal attire that is appropriate. Many girls were wondering if they were allowed to wear strapless gowns and you are as long as your chest is appropriately covered.

“It’s all common sense. Dressing appropriately shouldn’t be that hard,” said Stephenson.

“I really wish they would’ve addressed the change in rules sooner being that there was no conformation in whether these rules were true or false. Some people may now have to take their dresses back and find an outfit with only a week left to get a new ensemble. Plus, then you have to have the corresponding shoes, jewelry, makeup, and hair as well. There’s so many stressful factors that go into preparing for a dance such as prom or homecoming, and having to completely change what you’ve had planned months in advance with only days to spare is incredibly annoying,” said Freedom Junior Becca Bible.

Another question asked frequently is about a so-called “wristband policy.”

The new policy, which will be implemented on all future dances is a new “two strike rule” entailing that you receive a wristband before you walk into the venue. If caught promiscuously dancing, your band will then be cut off as a warning. If you are caught a second time you will be escorted out of the dance and not allowed back in.

“This type of dancing isn’t appropriate for any school function. That is why we are now implementing this rule to ensure none of that nonsense is going on,” said Stephenson.

Some students didn’t take this new rule too lightly.

“This is a travesty. The main reason I go to homecoming is for the dancing and now that there’s a rule, what’s the point on even going? If I go I’m sure I’ll be the first to get kicked out,” said one Senior, who spoke under anonymity.

When asked “How do you feel about the wristband policy?’ many students replied with remarks such as “it’s dumb” or “it’s a waste of time”. Some are even saying now that it’s not even worth going to and that they’d rather just stay home or go hang out with friends.

However, these new rules are being implemented to ensure that homecoming will be school appropriate but still enjoyable at the same time.

Although some students will not be attending, many students are more than eager to partake in the Homecoming festivities with the new rules. The Homecoming dance will again be held at the USF Embassy Suites starting at 7:00 and ending at 11:00, on October 3rd, 2015. This year’s theme is “City of Lights”. Tickets will be sold in the cafeteria during lunch until this Friday, October 2nd for $40.00.