Pats vs. Cats

Pats vs. Cats

Ever since Freedom High School first opened its doors in 2002, they have been rivals with Wharton High School. School spirit is through the roof for the Wharton vs. Freedom football game on September 25th, 2015. Signs are posted all around Freedom saying “BEAT WHARTON FRIDAY @ 7:30” or “DUBS DOWN,” in reference to Wharton’s “Dubs Up” motto.

“Both teams are good but I think Freedom will win 35-13,” says sophomore Hunter Pike. This major event for Freedom and Wharton is known as the Battle of Bruce B. Downs.

The rivalry between Freedom and Wharton is called the Battle of Bruce B. Downs because of the close proximity of the schools and being on the same road; Bruce B. Downs.

Todd Donohoe, Freedom Football coach, said “The defensive unit will definitely make the most impact on the game. If we can shut down their offense then we can win. Freedom will do well against Wharton if the defense can shut down number 25, Miles Williams, on Wharton’s offense. He’s a great player and is very dangerous on the field.”

Nasir Core, number 4, the quarterback for Freedoms Football team, is also a player to look for on the home side of the field. With two touchdown passes and seven completed passes for this season, he is the leading man of the Patriots’ offense.

The battle doesn’t just commence on the field. The cheerleader’s battle on the side seeing who has the best routine and tricks, students in the stands arguing over who’s the better team and starting chants, bands reciting their best songs to encourage their team.

We wish the Patriots good luck tonight on the big game.