Dress Code Dilemma

Dress Code Dilemma

Freedom High school’s dress code is one problem that is constantly catching everyone’s attention. The new dress code policies include: no leggings unless they are paired with shorts, dresses, or skirts, and no crop tops. This issue has not only angered students, but parents as well.

“Dress code is terrible, I get that see-through leggings are a no-no, but I’ve seen jeans tighter or just as tight. When paired with an oversized t-shirt or sweater, leggings are less revealing than jeans,” said sophomore Terry Tan.

The policy is leaving students stressed trying to pick out outfits that accommodate the scorching Florida weather as well as the school’s regulations.

“I would come every day in jeans and a t-shirt, if we were an indoor school, but wearing jeans outside makes me feel like I’m having a heatstroke. I’m not saying to walk around wearing cropped tank tops and cut-off shorts, but I’ve seen school uniform shorts shorter than midthigh,” explains sophomore Becca Bible.

Having uniforms creates a stress-free learning environment where the problem of distracting other students with “flashy” outfits is eliminated entirely. Uniforms also creates less stress on the Freedom staff and administration for constantly keeping an eye out for anything remotely dress code. Those who would disobey the policy would be easily able to spot instead of only a couple of kids getting in trouble while their peers are freely wearing tank tops and yoga pants. However, most students are anti-uniform and are okay with the little outfit freedom they have.

“I’ve seen kids wearing much more risqué things then I would ever dare to wear last the whole day with booty shorts and a tube top, yet whenever I try wearing my running shorts I instantly get dress coded. It’s an unfair system that needs to be fixed,” said sophomore Linda Niguen

Some teachers aren’t as strict with the dress code policy like the administrators. They tend to not pay attention or ignore it all together. However, most teachers do try to enforce these standards the best that they can. If the few teachers are not caring to be on the same page as the rest of the staff, it’s hard to create a cohesive system where students respect these rules rather than wear whatever they want because they know they won’t get caught.

FSA Connection Questions

1. In the article the author states that the dress code policies aren’t fair. Name a reason why this is true
  2. In the piece the word risqué means what?
  3. The author seems to offer what main idea?
  4. Select two reasons from the story that supports that uniforms would be a good idea.
  5. What is the connotation of the word ridiculous in the article?
  6. Select the sentences that best summarizes the work.